The Hispanic studies department strongly encourages you to participate in a summer program abroad shortly after declaring your Hispanic studies major or Latin American studies major and to spend a semester abroad in a Spanish-speaking country, preferably during the junior year.

The College offers approved study-abroad programs throughout the Hispanic world through the Office of Study Away.

The College's Study Away/Teach Away (SATA) programs have taken students to Spanish-speaking lands, including Spain and Peru.

Hispanic Studies/Latin American Studies Study Away Form (pdf)

Study Away Coursework

There are particular course requirements for our majors when they study abroad. One course per semester (spring, fall, summer) can be counted toward the major or minor requirements. A second course may be counted provided that it satisfies any 200-level courses taught in the department at Connecticut College, especially 201, 250, 251.

When the study away is done within a SATA program, a total of three courses may count toward the major or minor:

  • two courses ordinarily taught by and taken with Connecticut College professors
  • one course taken at the host institution

Students are required to submit syllabi, papers, and examinations for the courses taken abroad that would be considered toward the major or minor.


Through the College's TRIP - Traveling Research and Immersion Program, international travel at no additional expense to students is included as a component of some Hispanic studies department courses. Former TRIPs took students to Lima, Peru, and Spain with their professors.


Internships in the Hispanic world are also possible through one of the College's interdisciplinary centers and the Hale Center for Career Development.