I’ve always loved singing and did chorus during junior year of high school, but I was way too nervous to ever audition for an a cappella group. Having never taken voice lessons, I usually practice my vocals on long car rides and in the shower. But when you go to college, people tell you to try new things. Also my mom made me promise I would audition for a group.

There are seven a cappella groups at Connecticut College. I signed up to audition for the three all-female groups: the Swiffs, the ConnChords and Miss Connduct. I don’t like performing in front of other people, so singing in front of the first two groups was nerve-wracking. Also, the competition was fierce. By my third audition I felt a little more experienced and a lot less nervous. I walked into the room and I immediately felt the warmness radiating from all the people in it. They started by asking me a couple of questions about my singing background and then the audition began. I sang scales and harmonies before the group had me perform a solo. The last thing the group asked me to sing was an improvisation. A few of the girls got up and we all stood in a circle. One person started by singing a beat or making some sort of noise and then the others joined in one by one. I was so nervous because I had no idea what I should add. I finally figured it out and in the end, all of us together sounded so cool! I knew from that moment I finally found something I loved doing even though I didn't even want to audition in the first place.

‌The next day, I received an email saying I had gotten a callback for Miss Connduct, the last group I auditioned for. I was beyond ecstatic, but insanely nervous at the same time. The second audition was the next night and there were 16 other girls there. I kept thinking there would be absolutely no shot getting in, but I had made it this far so I thought I might as well just do my best and keep my fingers crossed. The audition was long and intimidating, but I walked out happy with my performance. The members of Miss Connduct told us that on Friday they would announce the new members. We were to have our phones on at 6 p.m. and be in our rooms at 8 p.m. to wait for the group to contact us.

Friday came, and I could not have been more anxious. I decided to be in my room from 6 p.m. on because if they called, it meant I did not get in and if I didn't get a call by 8 p.m., I most likely would be on the safe side. My friends and I stayed in my room from 6-9:15 p.m. until finally I got a knock on my door! When I opened it, all the members of the group were there. They began to sing to me and then welcomed me into the group. It was one of the best moments of my entire life and all the anxiety I had felt before was completely worth what was soon to come. I went through a lot of different emotions and feelings through the process, but I can easily say every single one of them was worth it and I couldn't be happier with where I am now. 

Blog thumbnail